I suggest you ...

Solve the Word 365/2016 Slow Typing Issue

Since Word 2016 was published, it has very serious performance issues on devices with high resolution displays like the Surface Book and Surface Pro. As soon as a document is longer than about 1000 words, there is a terrible typing lag, i.e. text appears on screen much slower than you type.
The typing lag is particularly bad in tables and when markup mode is used.
This bug is a terrible productivity killer. I can absolutely not understand how it can persist since mid 2015 without being corrected, even more since it mainly appears on Microsoft hardware.

The bug is reproducible. All Surface Books in our company suffer from it. Even a fresh install of the most recent versions of Windows 10 und Office 365 does not solve the problem.

The bug has been extensively discussed on answers.microsoft.com, but no solution is known so far.
See for instance in these threads:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_other-mso_winother/2016-typing-lag/0e44d2f2-1f6f-43d1-8592-6fae7345bc4f?page=2

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_win10/2016-office-slow/ceb6326d-f713-4769-87f1-cff137168708

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_mac/word-2016-cursor-movement-slow-jumpy-laggy-erratic/f19195dd-564f-48b4-bf89-de8191c70f44?page=15

A solution would be very much appreciated! Thanks.

1,052 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Matthias Haldimann shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

177 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

facked idiots removed right scroll from msword 2016 FUCKED BITCHES

• Don Batten commented  · 

Editing in draft view got rid of the dreadful lag. But of course I then can't check the layout. My notebook does not have a hardware acceleration option to turn off.

• GeorgeT commented  · 

It is almost like a bad joke, I upgraded to a supposedly better Office product (2016 Home & Business) and I have a hard time finding any reason why anyone should upgrade. IT IS SLOW, SLOW, SLOW. The Word Macros stop every time it calls for a paste, and I cannot get OneNote to Work at all. This is just crazy. I feel like I have been robbed.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I just blew away my WIndows 10 with a security reset, but saved my data. This required that I reinstall Office 365. It is still very slow. The typing lag is worse than any application on my system and causes lots of mistakes to be added to the documents.

• AlanS commented  · 

This is driving me crazy crazy crazy. Microsoft - you should be working around the clock to fix this - how could you do this. Program loads slowly, updates when I do not want which then requires 15 minutes to restore, and then after I get my document up, there is a huge delay. Why why why? Work around the clock until you fix this.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Uninstalling office 360 and reinstalling again resolved the issue for med

• Anonymous commented  · 

Thanks to Nasim, I have just resolved the lag by continuous numbering mode on reference tab :)

• Dee commented  · 

Deselecting did not resolve my issue!!! Word needs to fix this!!!! I would rather use my older version grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Anonymous commented  · 

how do i apply the below solutions to a mac book air with the same windows word typing lag

• Dude commented  · 

Disabling hardware graphic acceleration worked as well for me.

• Josh commented  · 

I followed the below comment and it worked flawlessly. Disable the hardware graphics accelerator.

(1) Get into options from the file menu
        (2) Select "Advanced" from the left side
        (3) Scroll down to display
        (4) Deselect "Disable hardware graphics acceleration"

• Leo commented  · 

I solved it by closing all other documents opened in Office, and leaving only the one I was working on. Hope it helps you too, guys.

• MSOfficeSUCKS commented  · 

Office 2016. is piece of shit!!! It makes my work harder and constant loading while file is opened, not responsive GUI, constant freezing.... idiotic "strip" instead of normal menu, to much visual for business usage it is made for half-retarded people who need pictures to understand SW!!! Really shitty package of tools if only my company isn't using this idiotic SW bundle!

• BG commented  · 

Here are the solution(s) that worked for me (increasing intensity) for solving the sluggish scrolling / typing / document processing issue in Word 2016:

- switched off visual effects and animations inside windows --> slightly better
        - deactivated all protected views in the trust center --> no effect, but faster loading
        - deactivated all add-ins (apart from PDF creation) --> slightly better
        - copied the whole text - but not the last paragraph - and pasted it into a new document and saved as docx.--> solved issue almost completely

My situation was this: I have created a 4,000 page .doc with Word 2010 and on my new computer (that is double as fast as the old one) incl. Word 2016 the file loaded fine (double as fast), but when I scrolled down in the print layout view (as saved) to the end of the text (to page 4,000) page (re-)numbering occurred very very slowly and Word hanged and it took 5 minutes until I could see page #4,000 (on my old computer with Word 2010 it took 1 minute!)! Now its about the same time after the above adjustments. B.t.w. the document contained 90% text, 200 small png graphics, 8,000 page breaks and 10,000 tables. Also, when I pressed ESC after scrolling down in the print layout and chosen the draft view, I could scroll down the document very smoothly and fast to the very last page without lags.

In my view there is definitely a compatibility problem with Word versions prior to 2016 and / or the Word 2016 processor generally lags compared to earlier versions. Either way - this is a bug and should be fixed! I also have discovered lags in Outlook E-Mail writing/reading compared to Outlook 2010 although I don't work with that large E-Mails and the lags don't feel that severe...

Nevertheless the whole new Word and Outlook 2016 word processing technique -especially in print layout - still works sluggish, and when scrolling up or down it feels like you would drag a slither worm behind you....

• jblecuit commented  · 

Disabling hardware acceleration solved the problem for me too.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Surface user. This is what I do.

(1) Get into options from the file menu
        (2) Select "Advanced" from the left side
        (3) Scroll down to display
        (4) Deselect "Disable hardware graphics acceleration"

If this works for you, write it down, because updates will often reset it.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Win 7 64 bit Installed Office 367 as 32 bit

Word extremely slow!!!! FIXED

As described in the comments - disable hardware acceleration. It resolved my problem.
        Thanks

• BOB commented  · 

If you have a wireless keyboard change the battery

• Nasim commented  · 

Hi thanks for all comments

I have just found one solution. I used document only 67 pages or even 2 pages but full of references, and restart each page from number one. I have just changed it to continues mode on reference tab, and now I can type and clean so fast.

hope my solution be useful

• DK commented  · 

I solved the issue by doing the following steps:

Click Start button.

Type regedit in the search box.

Click Regedit.exe in the search results.

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common.

Right-click Common and select New > Key from the context menu.

Name the new key Graphics. If Graphics folder is already there just do the step below

Right-click Graphics and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value form the context menu.

Name the new value DisableAnimations.

Double-click DisableAnimations and enter the value 1, then click OK.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base