I suggest you ...

Solve the Word 365/2016 Slow Typing Issue

Since Word 2016 was published, it has very serious performance issues on devices with high resolution displays like the Surface Book and Surface Pro. As soon as a document is longer than about 1000 words, there is a terrible typing lag, i.e. text appears on screen much slower than you type.
The typing lag is particularly bad in tables and when markup mode is used.
This bug is a terrible productivity killer. I can absolutely not understand how it can persist since mid 2015 without being corrected, even more since it mainly appears on Microsoft hardware.

The bug is reproducible. All Surface Books in our company suffer from it. Even a fresh install of the most recent versions of Windows 10 und Office 365 does not solve the problem.

The bug has been extensively discussed on answers.microsoft.com, but no solution is known so far.
See for instance in these threads:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_other-mso_winother/2016-typing-lag/0e44d2f2-1f6f-43d1-8592-6fae7345bc4f?page=2

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_win10/2016-office-slow/ceb6326d-f713-4769-87f1-cff137168708

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_mac/word-2016-cursor-movement-slow-jumpy-laggy-erratic/f19195dd-564f-48b4-bf89-de8191c70f44?page=15

A solution would be very much appreciated! Thanks.

600 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Matthias HaldimannMatthias Haldimann shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

83 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

I switched off tracking changes and it seems to have solved the problem.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I am about to chuck my laptop! Brand new MacBook and 365 MS word can't keep up with my typing! It's messing it all up and forget about deleting... one letter at a time!!!

• Anonymous commented  · 

I have a ThinkPad with Intel COre I7-6820HQ at 2.7GHz with 32G Ram and typing speed is slower than on a 386 based system running Word 2.0.

• JerryJerry commented  · 

I write reports with sometimes 200 photos and 200 pages in length and 2016 is impossible to use. I don't want to compress the photos too much as I want the detail. I went back to a slower laptop with 2010 word and it works perfectly with no lag time and saves in no more than 2 seconds. I've waited as long as an hour for a save on 2016 and sometimes it locks up and I lose all work. This is ridiculous. Now I'm stuck with a year subscription with software that has cost me hours of lost production. Can Microsoft PLEASE tell us when this will be fixed!!! If not .. Let us purchase older versions that work. I've been told I should not mix an older version of word and have the 2016 version on my computer. Any advice on that?

• Anonymous commented  · 

Same issue on a Dell high resolution laptop (Intel i7, 16G ram).
        Removing pictures from the header seems to help a little, but the typed text still appears slower then I type. This is extremely annoying. I cannot watch what I type, because then I start automatically correcting because letters appear with delay.
        Amazing that this takes so long to repair.

• MrWMrW commented  · 

I had an image in the header which was being used like a watermark. I compressed the picture as per a couple of the other comments and Word started responding normally again.

• Dan WalkerDan Walker commented  · 

Horrible slowdowns. Where is the QA department anymore?

• Pastor GPastor G commented  · 

"selected the image, clicked the "format" tab, and then chose "compress pictures" and then compressed using the default settings." as Anonymous describes below, worked for me.
        Thanks Anonymous.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I had this issue and selected the image, clicked the "format" tab, and then chose "compress pictures" and then compressed using the default settings. Once this was done, the issue went away and I was able to type normally. The compression did not change the look of the images best I can tell.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I have the same issue working with word 365 in Surface Pro 4. As soon as I insert a photo ( even small size one) in a page, the speed of typing goes very very slow. Once I remove the photo, the speed goes back to normal. This was not the case for me before the latest updates.

• Word UserWord User commented  · 

When is this going to be fixed?
        Word 2016 with Letterhead caused long delay when typing.

• Anonymous commented  · 

+1 here. 4k Monitor (125% Scaling) Windows 10 creators update, i5 4590, GTX 1080. 16GB RAM, SSD only. Outlook is terribly laggy when I type.

Not to mention that when I move a window, like Excel, with the mouse at 500Hz it's also laggy, but that's another issue.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I have a high-resolution Win10 system and I am also experiencing slow typing in MS Word 365.
        After removing the company logo picture from the header, it seems a lot better.

No more company logo's in MS Word :).

• Anonymous commented  · 

I am furious about the typing lag in Word 2016. When products are 'upgraded' you expect it to be better than previous versions. The reality is that Word has changed very little over the years- Microsoft has now managed to take my money for this new 'upgrade' and I am still paying further in production downtime with Word not doing what it is supposed to be doing.

How pathetic. Mac must be the answer. Cant wait for Microsoft to disappear of the face of the earth!

• JosephJoseph commented  · 

I'm going nuts with Word 2016, with extremely slow input from the keyboard, particularly when entering letters and numbers into a table. After typing a word or a series of numbers, I have to sit there and wait for one number to appear at a time. What a waste of time. Is there anything that MS can do to solve this problem. It seems that many people have experienced the same thing. I found many threads on this on different forums, so it seems to be an Office problem, not just specific configurations. Thanks.

• Jeff LichtmanJeff Lichtman commented  · 

Yes, a real pain! Especially when working on a book deadline. Microsoft, don't make us go to Framemaker. We paid for your product (365), give us the respect as the customer!

• Justin EdgertonJustin Edgerton commented  · 

This issue didn't happen in 1705 for us, but is now happening in 1706 - 1707.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I use a picture(logo) in header and i have the same issue. i tried resolotion thing and find an other thing :)

change res to something different than %100 and change back to %100

it worked for me

• PaulPaul commented  · 

Yes, I found removing the any pictures in the header solved my problem right away.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base