I suggest you ...

Fix bug preventing Quick Access Toolbar customisation

I'm not sure whether this is the right place, but I was directed here from the forums - I have a problem with Office 2016 Ribbon and Quick Access Toolbar Customisation not working.
If this is not the right place, can someone direct me to it!!

I am using Office 365 Pro Plus 2016 (Subscription) which is at Version 1706 Build 8229.2073. It is completely up to date and I have done a Repair on it.
I recently wished to show someone how to customize the Quick Access Toolbar.
When I try to customise the QAT, the list at the left shows only the limited set of options that normally appear on the drop-down list at the end of the QAT, instead of showing the "Popular Commands" as indicated at the top left.
If I select "All Commands" at the top left of the Customise dialogue, I get what appear to be the Commands from the Home Tab. If I select any of the Tabs except Home, I get an empty command list. I cannot find a way to show All Commands.
The same basic problem affects Ribbon Customisation, in that only commands from the Home Tab are displayed, though all the Tabs themselves are listed.
I also have a Virtual Machine with Office 2016 (Action Pack licence – used for training) which was at Version 1705 Build 8201.2102 when I first noticed the above problem.
I checked this version straight away, and the Customisation was working exactly as it should. I then applied the latest Office updates to this copy which brought it up to Version 1706 Build 8229.2073 (same as the Subscription version). It immediately showed the problem described above. This seems to me to be pretty strong circumstantial evidence that the problem was triggered by the update
I noticed this first in Excel, but it's the same in PowerPoint and Word.
Both copies of Office 2016 are running on Windows 10. In particular, the Virtual Machine that I use for training deliberately has no customisation – it has nothing installed on it other than Windows 10 and Office 2016.
I have two other Virtual Machines also used for training, running Office 2010 and Office 2013. Both of these are still functioning exactly as they should so the issue does seem to be restricted to Office 2016. I use these VMs for training, and regularly teach people how to customise the QAT.
I have been using the Office 2016 subscription version since about January and it was certainly working correctly initially, and probably until a month ago – I cannot pinpoint exactly when the problem first occurred.
I posted a query on the forums to see whether anyone else has experienced this problem but no-one seems to have.
I was asked to try resetting the customization – this has no effect.
It was suggested that I try a clean boot, which I have done, but the problem is still there.

Andrew Hudson

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andrew Hudson shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew Hudson commented  · 

PROBLEM NOW FIXED by Office Update that has moved me up to Build 8229.2103.

N.B. Build 8229.2086 did NOT solve the problem, which I first saw in Build 8229.2073

Feedback and Knowledge Base